Monday, May 26, 2008

Happy Memorial Day

I love Memorial Day. It was so nice to see a big American flag waving in my yard this morning, thanks be to Scout Troop 217. An acquaintance passed away last week, and the thought occurred to me that his death was so timely; it happened to fall during a season when we all reflect on and honor our loved ones who are no longer with us.
Like everyone, I have lost family members -- grandparents, aunts, uncles, and even my sweet baby niece who passed away shortly after birth. Unfortunately, since we're transplants to Arizona, we don't have any relatives buried nearby. But that doesn't keep me from admiring the beautiful grounds of the cemeteries in our vicinity, nor the multitudes of people that are buried therein.
While I wouldn't trade our city for any other, on days like this, I do wish that I could be nearer to family. I would have liked to visit the graves today and to adorn their headstones with bouquets of flowers.
As hard as it is to lose someone, I think we're fortunate to have beautiful cemeteries where we can visit those who went before us. I often contemplate the Mormon Pioneers who were forced to leave their loved ones far behind, only buried in a shallow grave. What strength they must have received from God. Wherever you are, and wherever your dear ones may be buried, I wish you a peaceful and happy Memorial Day.

1 comment:

C and T Orvin said...

It seems as thoughI checked your blog everyday for a week and nothing and then you went nuts and posted 4! Great job! I love the pic of BB and Lily Lou! So dang cute! Kalia looked great as Rachel...She talked about it for ever and I am glad to get to see the final thing. Suzie said you posted something of her Monday...not seeing it. The flag with the kids was perfect. I should have done the same thing. Great idea. So patriotic. Ready for our concert Sat? I am trying to get pumped but it still seems far away. Is Lily eating better and not keeping you up all night? We need to do lunch one day - Any thoughts?